iPhone will feature up to 8 hours of talk time, 6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback. In addition, iPhone will feature up to 250 hoursmore than 10 daysof standby time. Apple also announced that the entire top surface of iPhone, including its stunning 3.5-inch display, has been upgraded from plastic to optical-quality glass to achieve a superior level of scratch resistance and optical clarity.
That was the new press release from Apple.
The combination iPod and smartphone will be available at 6 p.m. local time on Friday, June 29, at Apple and AT&T retail stores. The iPhone will be priced at US$499 for the 4GB model, or $599 for the 8GB model.
For that price, it is not unfair to expect all-around features. But, inspite of all the hypes, it is not that perfect piece of gadget. Here are some of the shortcomings I came to know:
- Although it is supposed to have the “full internet”, it won’t even have the Adobe Flash Player! Well, it sounds like it won’t be much happy surfing on many sites with flash animations and sites like YouTubes won’t be of much fun either.
- It will not support Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS), so users won’t be able to send text messages with pictures or video to other cell phone users.
- The iPhone does not offer Global Positioning System (GPS) capability.
- Third-party applications will be allowed only as web-based applications loaded from the internet on the iPhone’s Safari web browser.
- In order to use an iPhone, buyers will be required to first set up an account with the iTunes store using their credit cards, even if they have no intention of buying anything there. This is in addition to the required carrier contract with AT&T.
Some Apple fans and iGod might diagree with me but inspite of all the great features I don’t think this phone is made for me!
Edit: Found pictures of (future?) versions of iphone here and wanted to share with you! Here goes – iPhone, iPhone Nano and iPhone Shuffle.