It has been twelve years since Larry Page and Sergey Brin registered the domain Google.com, the search synonym of today. In that 12 years, Google has transformed itself into a multi-billion dollar company based in Mountain View, Calif. It’s 12th birthday is being celebrated with a American painter Wayne Thiebaud design – a big, digitized birthday cake logo.
The cake doodle confirms that Google celebrates its birthday on September 27, 2010. Whois lookup however, shows that Google was first registered on 15 sep, 1997.
Updated Date: 15-sep-2010
Creation Date: 15-sep-1997
Expiration Date: 14-sep-2011
On it’s birthday, let’s look at some of the milestones in its history:
- In 2000, Google began selling advertisements associated with search keywords.
- In 2001, Google launched Image Search.
- In 2002, it released Google Labs and Google News.
- In 2003, Google acquired Pyra Labs, owner of Blogger (in February)
- In 2005, Google Maps (in February) and Google Talk (in August). Other features released were- Google Reader, Google Analytics, and Gmail for mobile.
- In 2006, the verb, "to google", was officially added to Webster and Oxford Dictionary (in July), Google buys YouTube for $1.65 billion (in October)
- 2007, Gmail released for public.
- 2008, Android mobile operating system,
- In 2009 and 2010 – Google Voice, Google Buzz were the buzz words.
That was a short and incomplete history of Google. A full and official history can be accessed here.
Happy Birthday Google !